Bike-A-Thon 2010

by Dan Hinz, Jr. on 24May2010 Print This Post Print This Post

Skyline to the Sea. Wow, what a beautiful ride. The trail goes almost 30 miles inland to Saratoga Gap. It passes through Big Basin Redwood State Park, the first in state history, and through Castle Rock state park. I’ve hiked the entire length going the other direction with my son and scout troop in April 2004. The first picture is of the first girls to make it back to the trailhead. They climbed a bluff and were looking back up the trail.

As most know by now, I suffered a blowout on the ride. It seems I had a weak spot in the side wall, allowing the tube to bulge through and then pop. The hole was slightly bigger than a dime. Fortunately for me, Andy “McGyver” Stack had a spare tube. Using the thorn strip (kevlar) from the blown tube we fashioned a patch to contain the tube inside the tire. With lots of patience and taking two tries we got the patch to stay in place while inflating the tube. I rode back gingerly… I stopped at one point to check the tube and could see that the tube had slid inside the tire and patch had moved. I tried unsuccessfully to reposition everything and reinflate the tube. I continued limping back and made it.

In addition to having fun, the girls did a great job bringing in over $3000 for the team, simply amazing!

Thanks to Steve for the photos at the falls.

Print This Post Print This Post

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Shellie May 24, 2010 at 13:48

I concur!! Big Kudos to Mabel, and the rest of the Fundraising crew for making this event, fun, fantastic, and such a wonderful way for the girls to enjoy each other off of the soccer field! You Rock!!

Steve May 24, 2010 at 13:47

Thank you Mabel for coordinating such a great day and opening your home for the girls to swim afterwards. I’m sure all the girls slept well last night.

Andy May 24, 2010 at 13:46

A special Thanks to Mabel for coordinating this wonderful event.

You did a great job in selecting the route. I’m bit sure the girls appreciated it, but the park was beautiful! btw Who won the 12:20 game?? ;)

Mabel May 24, 2010 at 13:45

Thanks again girls and parents for taking the time to fundraise and coming out on the day of the Bikeathon Event!!!

It exceeded my expectations when our families came together and collectively raised $3152.00. Together we can accomplish amazing things both on and off the fields.

The Plesse’s are very proud to be part of the Sporting Green Family.
SUPER JOB to all the Girls!!!

Top 3 Fundraisers were:
1. Reece ($1097)
2. Erica ($600)
3. Lauren ($420)

Your Fundraising Team

Shellie May 24, 2010 at 13:43

WOW!!! That is incredible!!! Congratulations to all!!! :)
Go Sporting girls!!

Mabel May 24, 2010 at 13:40

What a beautiful ride today. I think all the girls had a BLAST and the comraderie out there was priceless. Thank you to all the girls and their efforts in fundraising and their parents for supporting them in reaching their goals.

Special thanks to Steve, Dan, Denny, Andy, Lisa and Scott for coming out on the ride today. We couldn’t do the ride without your support.

Has everyone who did the fundraising submitted their numbers? If not, please do so ASAP. I want to make sure everyone is considered before determining our top 3 fundraisers. I will announce this Monday at practice. Please turn in your fundraising $’s in sometime this week at practice.

Best,